The Policies & Procedures document outlines the standards for CABI use and access. All PIs are required to sign and electronically submit a copy of the Policies & Procedures via email to the MRI Technologist. ALL users should review the guide to research etiquette & suggestions for a successful scan.
Calendars and information about CABI forms, equipment, and events can be found on our Resources page.
- Access to CABI is via BuzzCard. Standard users have access to the front door of the building from 9-5 M-F. Please contact the administrator if you need a BuzzCard or need to have your card updated to allow access.
- Only people who have had safety training are allowed open access to the MRI scanner console room and mock scanner. People without training (including participants) will require an escort. See below for more information about safety training.
If used appropriately, MRI scanning is exceptionally safe. However, MRI scanning involves a very unusual environment that can pose unique hazards. Therefore, annual safety training is required for all users. Initial safety training consists of a 90-minute training session and can be scheduled by contacting the MRI technologist. The MRI technologist also ensures that all users comply with the guidelines established by the IRB and operations committee.
- The safety manual describes the precautions we follow to ensure safe operations and should be read by all CABI users.
- Only people who have had safety training are allowed open access to the MRI scanner console room and mock scanner. People without training (including participants) will require an escort. Please contact the MRI technologist to schedule safety training.
- All participants must review the Contraindications Screening Form before they are asked to consent to MRI research. There is also a child version of the form to be reviewed by the guardian of a minor.
- The MRI Screening Form must be filled out in its entirety each time a participant is participating in MRI research. There is also a child version of the form to be filled out by the guardian of a minor.
- The Health Screening Form must also be completed in its entirety before participation.
- CPR Training is available to all CABI users, and it is required that at least one person from each lab is current with their CPR training. CPR training can be scheduled with the MRI technologist.
- An incident report form form needs to be filed for any adverse event that occurs at the center.
Ethics – Institutional Review Board
All research at the center must be approved by our IRB. One piece of advice is to provide as much detail as possible about your study in order for reviewers to assess safety and the scientific methods employed to address your specific aims/hypotheses. To begin the IRB approval process:
- Create an IRB account where you will upload information for your protocol.
- This website has the template for CABI informed consent forms.
Once the IRB has approved your protocol, you must submit a copy of the approved consent form as well as the Research Information Form to the MRI technologist.
The cost for scanning is $425 per hour for projects funded through GSU/GT. Scan time for other organizations is billed at $550 per hour.
The operations committee regulates activites at the center. The committee is composed of three members from Georgia State and three members from Georgia Tech. The committee establishes the hours of operation (when will Buzzcards allow users to access the center), oversees the safety manual and establishes billing rates, and determines seed grant funding. To arrange a meeting with the committee, please contact the center administrator.